Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Classical Conversations

Yesterday was our first day going to our Classical Conversation class/homeschool group (which I wrote about in more detail here). It was a whirlwind! We walked out of the house right before 7am, dropped Clay off at Briana's house for the day (she's graciously offered to watch him for me while I'm at CC on Tuesdays) & then we drove to our "campus" (a nice church facility) across town. I'm so glad we only meet once a week!

Ray took off the morning so that he could see Addison in her first class. (Kate is attending the preschool program that they offer)



Ray caught me setting up my class - no, I wasn't nervous one bit! (I believe there are a little more than 100 children in our particular group & we break into classes of eight students each - I have mostly six-year-olds!)




I'm so excited about this program. It really offers wonderful direction, accountability & community. I love it! I've always known that I'd like to homeschool my children, but, now that the time has come, I truly feel like I have a heart to homeschool my children.

Yes, it's extra exhausting. There are times when I think, "Can I really do this?" Sometimes I feel that someone who is going to be the primary educator for their children should exhibit more calm & patience on a consistent basis.

The truth is that no one is perfect and the Lord is the one who gives the grace in all situations, including schooling my children. We spent much time in prayer over this & the Lord clearly pointed us in this direction and opened the doors wider than I could've imagined.

I'm really excited about this new chapter in our lives, not just homeschooling in general, but, also the CC program. There are some things that I become truly excited about & have to make myself stop talking about them constantly so that I won't annoy people - CC is one of those things!!!

The core curriculum guide for the program has a wonderful introduction by the founder. I found great encouragement in some of her writings & I'll leave you with a small portion of her thoughts:

Our educational endeavors are not for my boys or me. They are for the kingdom of God and have ramifications not yet revealed. (Leigh Bortins)

4 comments :

Lisa said...

:) I feel excited for you, from just reading this post! I'm sure you are doing an amazing job.

I find our foundation verse at school gives me encouragement - I thought I'd share:

"My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge" ( Colossians 2:2-3).

:)

aliann said...

So excited for you! I'm sure you will love homeschooling (except for those brief moments when you want to tear your hair out) and I'm looking forward to hearing about days.
CC sounds great. I love our co-op and am so very grateful not only for the opportunity for our kids, but also for the group of other homeschooling moms who are such an encouragement to me.

aliann said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

Thanks, Lisa, that's great!

Allison, I so enjoy reading about your days & everything you do with you kids - it seems like you all have a lot of fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...