Monday, August 02, 2010

The Sponge Docks

Our Saturday family activity this past weekend was a trip to the sponge docks in Tarpon Springs & then to the beach at Fred Howard Park.

The plan was to pack a lunch & leave in the morning. That was the plan. However, time got away & by the time I was making lunch it was nearly lunch time so we ate at home. We ran into several other little delays & didn't leave until 1:45! In other words, we were walking outside at the hottest part of the day. That's why shops in Florida have little signs like this posted on the doors:



It was so hot that before we actually started walking along the docks we stopped into the first shop for the free "movie" about sponges just so we could sit in the a/c for awhile! There are a LOT of different kinds of sponges.

Tarpon Springs has a large Greek community and I've always wanted to stop in for some pastries or dessert but I never have before. Until Saturday. I don't remember the name of the dessert I chose but it sounded delicious - chocolate cake & custard & chocolate mousse.



About to try my dessert! (yes, I shared with everyone)




I'm sad to say it was so disappointing. Ray is much less picky than I am in that area & even he wasn't impressed. But now I have the desire to eat their desserts out of my system! Now I know to just get ice cream to help me beat the heat like the girls did! (actually, they ended up getting yogurt because Addison picked out "pink ice cream" & the only pink one was strawberry yogurt!)





The girls playing in one of the little boats they had set up in a courtyard




Kate catching some air!




By the time we made it to the beach it was around 6:00. It was pretty nice since the sun was getting lower; it was starting to cool off & I found some shade to sit under!



Clay's first visit to the beach!




Little baby feet feeling the sand for the first time




We finally left around 7:30 & we were starving! One of the first places we found was a Taco Bell so we sat down & enjoyed a round of tacos together. We finally made it home at 9:15! We definitely didn't plan to be gone that long but we had a lot of fun together!

1 comment :

MegKat.com said...

I still can't believe you're a family of FIVE now! Love all the pictures :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...